Introduction to Web Development
About InnoTech College
classroom-based learning InnoTech College is a boutique college focusing on technology education that meets’ Alberta employers’ unique and specific needs. We have campuses in Calgary and Edmonton, and pride ourselves on providing our students an interactive, hands-on, personalized, learning experience, that is classroom-based and is led by an active industry expert from the chosen industry
Why Learn to Develop
Using a free Web template, almost anyone can build a website. However, even with some creativity, your website will look too much like everyone else who used that template. The functionality of the web site is also limited to that functionality built into the template used.
The application stores for mobile devices are also full of similar variants and poorly made knock-offs of the popular applications. Very few of the self-taught developers who created them make a return on their investment, let alone are rewarded by a runaway success.
The only way to be unique,
About the Introduction to Web Development Course
From zero knowledge to
writing custom applications In a 7-week course, you’ll go from zero knowledge, to a level capable of writing custom and interactive web applications.
Learn to write superior code, how to handle errors,
Although, the short 7-week timeline will only allow us to scrape the surface of all of the above, we promise you, that you’ll come away from this course miles ahead of where you’ve started. We also promise that you’ll have loads of fun doing so!
InnoTech College offers intensive courses that go far beyond free boot-camps, online training courses, and videos produced by well-meaning video/web bloggers.
This course is extracted from an even more comprehensive curriculum that takes you from zero knowledge to skills suitable for a career in web development. By taking this stepping stone course, you’ll enter your path to becoming a web designer/developer. The pace is intense, but you’ll learn beyond your dreams in a classroom setting vs. tackling these topics on your own.
Some of you will be able to leverage this knowledge and reach the immediate goals you have. Others will want to try out their new skills for a while and later, when they feel they need more training, at which point we’ll also be here.
CALGARY INTRODUCTION TO WEB DEVELOPMENT
Program Dates: Feb 4 – March 22, 2019
Schedule: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 5-9pm
Cost: $2,380 ($500 due upon registration, remainder due on 1st day of classes)
Early Bird: $2140 (if enrolling 1 month or more prior to the start of classes)
- No previous programming or IT experience required
- Work on your own device or borrow 1 of ours
- Must have reliable internet connection at home
WHAT TO EXPECT
We teach you the topics in depth, guiding you as you learn, and teach you skill on how to continuously learn to stay in touch with the leading edge of web development.
- Markup languages
- HTML / HTML5
- CSS 3
- CSS animation, Media Queries and responsive design
- Design Inspiration Sites
- Web fonts
- Icons as web fonts
- Mobile First Design
- Best Practices
- Search Engine Optimization and metadata
- Why the Internet is changing and where the Internet is headed
CLIENT SIDE PROGRAMMING
- Open Source libraries that are free and powerful
- Bootstrap (Responsive design for mobile-first websites)
- Solving timing issues in page loads and asynchronous logic
- Build continuous learning skills
- Explorer Quality Assurance Testing and learn testing methods
- Learn how to do Mobile Device Testing without a mobile device
- Utilize Source Code Control
- Visual Studio Online
- Exposure to many Professional Code Editors
- Developer Libraries to make you a better developer
- Best Practices
- Handling errors
- Caching results
- Non-blocking code
- Learn to understand another developer’s code
- Learn why most examples on the web are flawed or misdirect junior developers
- Learn which resources to trust, and which to ignore
- Explorer the best coding editors based upon your individual style
- In-Class lectures
- In-Class development walkthroughs
- Weekly Lab challenge submissions
- Work on your own code in homework assignments
- Instructor one-on-one help
- Instructors provide feedback on marked work that shows what you did right, what you may have done wrong and how to fix it, how to get better, and how to push yourself even higher